Sunday, September 10, 2006

Hoop Poop

"Jocks" are often derided. Cheerleading is said to anti-feminist. The big bands are corny.

Wrong.

I just Hoop Dreams with Gene Hackman, Dennis Hopper and Barbara Hershey.

I remembered it as documentary in black and white. Wrong twice.

An improbable team of small white farm boys gets the Huskers gets to the Indiana state finals. The opponents, mostly big and black are from South Bend.

In Indiana basketbal runs a close second to Christianity.

The coach builds character.

The cheerleaders show amazing physical dexterity.

The band plays real music, which is not something, alas, your blogger can say.

The sh-t-kickers beat the big boys.

The team's star has father who is the town drunk, but who fills in very ably as an Assistant Coach. They both "come of age."

Two U.S. Senators, Thad Cochran and Trent Lott, were cheerleads at Ole Miss --- not atheletes. So was Geroge W. Bush.

It made me cry. Y'know, tear ducts etc.

Ben

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben,

I think the film you're refering to is "Hoosiers," not "Hoop Dreams."

While I can't say I cried after seeing it, the movie did make me feel good.

Since we're talking sports flicks, here are my takes on a few I've seen:

Feel-good story a la Hoosiers: "Rudy."

Low-brow/sophmoric humor: "Kingpin"

Low-brow but positively hillarious and a must-see classic: "Caddyshack"

A recent football version of Hoosiers: "Friday Night Lights"

Baseball classics: "The Natural" and "Field of Dreams"

Childhood memories/PG favorites: "The Mighty Ducks," "Little Big League," "Angels in the Outfield," "The Sandlot," "Rookie of the Year" (I have no idea why Hollywood did so many kids-sports movies when I was in elementary school).

Go Huskers!

Dan

September 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't this movie called "Hoosiers"?

September 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben,

Think you mean Hoosiers. But I'm glad you brought up Hoop Dreams cause I just saw that too- first time since it came out. It too it is a tear jerker and I fear that the exploitation of inner city youth with basketball talent has only grown worse.

September 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home