Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Radio Free Europe/ Radio Liberty

During the Cold War --- and still today --- Radio Free Europe and Radio Liberty beam out messages to once un-free nations, at their request, or publicly whispered to us by freedom-seeking dissidents.


Just a few days new headquaters were opened in Prague. A Think Tank team was there to record the events and interview one of the great men of our time, Vaclev Havel. I expect to interview him later when he comes to Washington.


For about a decade I was Vice-Chaiman of the Board of RFE/RL.

First Frank Shakespeare and Malcolm "Steve" Forbes were the Chairmen.

We had, it was said "the best Board in Washington." Other members included Lane Kirkland head of the AFL-CIO, James Michener, and Ed Ney who ran Young and Rubicam, one of the worlds largest advertising agencies.

Today when I am in a cab in New York City with a Soviet-era driver I mention my role in RFE/RL.

He usually glows and Radio Svoboda, it kept hope alive. I glow too.

Ben

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home