Sunday, October 22, 2006

I am a Jew --- so are lots of people...

Are you a Christian now, Ben? I thought you were Jewish. I didn't know Jews used the word "Lord" these days. Doesn't that mean "Jesus"?

You said in this post: "that exceptionally American holiday, Thanksgiving, when we gather together to ask the Lord's blessing..."
Publish Reject

Ben's Response:

The Old Testament is full of references to Adonai Eloheinu, The Lord our God.

There are lots of people with "Jewish blood."

After all, there were the Lost Tribes of Israel, the Maranos (sp?) in Spain. Some people believe that Christopher Columbus was one such.

The early Christians, of course, regarded themselves as Jews.

Jesus Christ died on the Cross as a Jewish Rabbi.

On the other hand, I know Israelis with high cheekbones and sort of "yellowish" pallor. There is little doubt in my mind that they trace their lineage back to the Mongol Horsdes of Ghenghis Kahn.

Indeed I find demographics fascinating. One never knows what comes next...

As recounted here earlier, I believe, I recently met a woman from Israel at the Hip-Hop Modern Orthodox schul I now sometimes attend. She had five children. Her sister had elevn children (! ! !)

If each of the five children had five children and each of the eleven had eleven children, there would be an escalating geometric spiral of significant dimensions.

Many secular Jews are concerned that the Orthodox will inherit the mantle of Judaism.

But just think of how many current Jews, or Jews for Jesus, or conversos, had Orthodox roots.

Take a look at the the stunning DVD of Chaim Potok's The Chosen.

The bright lights and big cities are very attractive to very many.

Moreover, these days, some secular Jews turn to Orthodoxy as they see their children drifting away from Judaism.

It is a very complicated world.

As I get older, my favorite saying is Chazak v' Amatz, strength and fortitude in Hebrew.

Shalom,

Ben


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home