Friday, October 20, 2006

Anyone who knows anything about this.. please

Click here: 1950 College Basketball Recap — Infoplease.com

"Leopard Ed" Warner was a couple of years ahead of me at DeWitt Clinton High School in The Bronx,NY,

The game against the University of Kentucky's Wildcats was --- I think --- for the NIT championship --- at that time more important than the NCAA.

UKy was the overwhelming favortite.

CCNY --- all Jews and blacks --- all freshmen I believe --- won by 90-45.

It changed the Mid-South's view of minorities. Joy in rapture in NYNY.

Then a number of Coach Nat Holman's players were indicted in a point-shaving scandal.

Gloom.

I love the theme of sports & society.

Think: Jackie Robinson, soccer wars. ping-pong diplomacy, drug scandals, Roberto Clemente who called himself a Double-N , as recounted in WashPostie's David Marannis wonderful new book.

Arthur Koestler (Darkness at Noon) gave up writing about politics at an advanced age to write a book about the Lost Tribes of Israel in the real Caucases (not in Iowa.) (sp?)

The need to re-invent oneself is a powerful human emotion.

So I am am planning a Next Book on all aspects of the great game and the great season --- triuph and tragedy..

Anyone with any information is invited to inform me.

I would be most grateful.

Ben






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home