Friday, August 25, 2006

Corrected version

Friday, August 25, 2006

Jewish Modern Orthodoxy.

On Friday night (Erev Shabbat) I attended a Modern Orthodox service in Washington DC.

I expected a group of old Jews, mumbling in Hebrew, much of which I had forgotten or never knew.

What I saw was old Jews and young Jews and little Jewish children and one black man ---having the time of their lives. They were dancing and singing. Men in their Seventies and Eighties were swinging and swaying, dancing and dhjumping. With each other, their faces beaming. Some of it sounded a bit like rap in Hebrew. Soulful, pensive Hebrew songs in a melodies I knew as a boy have been juiced up. In there own very different ways each are are beuatiful.

The women were on the left side of the small shul. They seemd to be having a ball too. On elderly lady read her prayer book with a huge oblong magnifying glass.

The Rabbi was 31 years old, familiar with every soul there. He often spoke colloquial English, piping up from various spots among the congregation. He wore a shirt and tie, no jacket. I wore jacket and tie. That's how I started out, but gradually lost the jacket and tie and rolled up my sleeve much like the rest fo the congregants.

The Rabbi is going to Northern Israel next week.

I kept losing the place. People fell all over themselves to help me.

Oh, by the way the prayers were powerful and profound.

I may go again Saturday morning. at 9:15 AM for the big time service. But it only lasts for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Reasonable. Other services last three hours.

I haven't joined up and may not.

So I can keep writing on Friday night which a Modern Orthodox shouldn't do. I haven't signed up yet so I canwrite on Friday night.

Ben

Ben

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home