Friday, August 25, 2006

Jewish Modern Orthodoxy

On Friday night (Erev Shabbat) I attended a Modern Orthodox service in Washington DC.

I expected a group of old Jews, mumbling in Hebrew, much of which I had forgotten or never knew.

What I saw was old Jews and young Jews and little Jewish children and one black man ---having the time of their lives. They were dancing and singing. Men in their Seventies and Eighties were swinging and swaying, dancing and dhjumping. With each other, their faces beaming.

Some of it sounded a bit like rap in Hebrew. Soulful, pensive Hebrew songs in a melodies I knew as a boy have been juiced up. In there own very different ways each are are beuatiful.

The women were on the left of the small shul. They seemd to be having a ball too. On elderly lady read her prayer book with a huge oblong magnifying galss

The Rabbi was 31 years old, familiar with every soul there. He often spoke colloquial English, piping up from various spots among the congregation.

He wore a shirt and tie, no jacket. I wore jacket and tie. That's how I started out, but gradually lost the jacket and tie and rolled uo sleeve much like the rest fo the congregants.

He's going to Northern Israel next week.

I kept losing the place. People fell all over themselves to help me.

Oh, By the way the prayers were power and profound. I may go Saturday morning. at 9:15 AM for the big time service but it only lasts for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Reasonable. Other services last three hours.

I haven't joined up and may not. So I can keep writing on Friday night which a Modern Orthodox shouldn't do.

Ben


I haven't signed up yet so I can

I am not observant (yet).

I may go to Saturday service morning

They were devout and happy about it.

I'm not devout yet, So I can write about it one., The devout ones won't write on the Sabbth. read or

I once saw Father Divine preach in Harlem when I was about 15. I've seen Holly Rollers, Evangelicals

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am going to speculate that the Synagogue you refer to is Ohev Sholom--The National Synagogue (www.ostt.org). The Friday night service is truly spiritual. Everyone should feel welcome to attend that service and usher in the Sabbath with deep spirituality.

August 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home