Saturday, August 12, 2006

"The 637 Best Things Anybody Ever Said"

Some years ago a man named Robert Byrne published a series of books entitled The 637 Best Things Anybody Ever Said

Some examples:

" Gary Cooper and Greta Garbo may be the same person. Have you ever seen them together?"
(Ernest Lubitsch)

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once."

(Charles Lamb)

"Henry James was one of the nicest old ladies I ever met"
(William Faulkner) {But then again, I could never get more than a couple of pages into anything Faulkner wrote.}

"One more drink and I'll be under the host"
(Dorothy Parker)


"In every fat book there is a thin book trying to get out" (Unknown) {True. Even in my books, alas}


There's one I remmber but can't find" "I've travelled all over the world and I found something out: They hate each other." (Alas, so appropriate today...)

And another: "Spring again, Spring Again. The birds are on the wing again. Absurd, Absurd, the wings are the bird again."

"Too clever is dumb" (German proverb)

"Plato is a bore" (Nietzsche) And what was Nietzsche?

"I would rather go to bed with Lillian Russell stark naked, than with Ulysses S. Grant in full military regalia" (Mark Twain. Pat Moynihan loved it.)

"If called a panther, don't anther" (Ogden Nash)

"Forgive your enemies; but never forget their names"
President John F. Kennedy

"Any fool can make a rule" (Thoreau)

There's lots more.

Check it out.

Ben

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home