Sunday, December 17, 2006

Not received --- no surprise ---

James Aach has left a new comment on your post "Golden Oldies":

Of the top of my head, I can't answer your specific questions. But...During World War II, the St. Louis Browns won their only pennant and later featured Pete Gray the one armed outfielder, and the Chicago Cubs went to their last World Series. Pete Reiser was also starring for the Dodgers and running into walls and tearing up his knees. He was drafted and failed his army physical, but when the doctor asked him what he'd be doing instead - and he answered - "Playing for the Brooklyn Dodgers" - the doctor said "You're in." Pvt. Reiser spent the war years playing on military base teams.

Speaking of lost e-mails - I sent you a (requested) outline of Rad Decision at the AEI address. If it wasn't received, respond here and I'll try again. If it was - maintain silence and think of Joe Nuxhall, the Reds' 15 year old pitcher in 1944. JA

Ben's comment:

Pete Reiser was my first hero --- led the NL in hitting w/ .343 in 1941.

I don't think much of it would have happened had they had padded walls and warning tracks.

Batting helmets have also changed the game.


1 Comments:

Blogger James Aach said...

I'll try again with the outline at your AEI e-mail.

In an interview I recall reading in "Baseball When the Grass was Green", Mr. Reiser noted he visited a school for the blind because they made a special request for him - the director told him the kids understood he also had problems with walls.

December 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home