Friday, July 28, 2006

Baseball

I have had a love-hate relationship with baseball. I was I a wild Brooklyn Dodger fan in the 1940s (when Jackie Robinson --- who later supported Nixon for President (!) --- broke the color line.) Then Walter O'Malley moved the Dodgers to LA --- and I was crushed and lost interest. Later the NY Mets were established and I was a strong fan (Ed Kranepool was my favorite.)

I came to Washington DC and fell in love with the Washington Senators --- Frank Howard, manager Ted Williams and first-baseman Mike Epstein ("Super-Jew"). Then Bob Short moved the team to Texas. Not long after I wrote a column called "Snoreball" --- about how long and boring the sport was.

Now I am in love again. The Washington Nationals are in town with some truly exciting players: Alfredo Soriano, Ryan Zimmerman and manager Frank Robinson. Now the new owners are thinking of trading Soriano for younger draft picks. It will crush me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home