Saturday, December 09, 2006

A great holiday

Click here: Chanukah On the Net - Welcome - Chanukah, Hanukkah, Hannukah, Hanukah, Chanuka, Chanukkah, Hanuka, Channukah, Hanu

I love Christmas --- in a secular way.

At college my fraternity used to serenade the co-eds with those haunting and glorious melodies.

Chanukah, I gather, was a minor Jewish holiday until Jewish parents felt challenged by Christmas.

It is celebrated for eight days and is particularly joyful for young children who brag to their non-Jewish friends that they get eight presents, not just one.

There is gambling --- spinning the dreydel --- and haunting and glorious melodies.

I have always loved the holidays and honored the grand clan of the Maccabees.

I gather now that the Maccabees were regarded --- eek! -- as "zealots."

I would prefer to view them as "freedom fighters" --- and that they were.

Happy Chanukah, Merry Christmas, Feliz Navidad.

Whatever.

Ben

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home