Tuesday, August 01, 2006

"Wedge Issues"

The so-called "wedge issues" --- crime-in-the-street, gay marriage, the American flag, homosexuality itself --- are often denigrated typically from the Left. But they are deeply relevant to the way we live and the symbols we live by. The Left (typically) wants to say "it's the economy, stupid. But in my book "Values Matter Most" I stated --- and President Clinton agreed --- that symbols are very important.

I do not wish to sound as if I'm bragging. I've made some mistakes along the way (I'm almost 73 now) but my batting average is pretty good.

I'm waiting for responses --- let's hear them.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed, the Republican Party was founded against slavery, the ultimate "wedge issue." I find it curious that very few issues on which public opinion probably favors the Democrats (environmental controls or minimum wage, for example) are ever described in the media as "wedge issues."

August 02, 2006  
Blogger Ben Wattenberg said...

President Bush, I think is a "big government" conservative, a "compassionate conservative." Me too. Forgatting about the humantitarian aspect for moment, who wants to step over and around frail old people living as street people?
Ben

August 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home