Thursday, August 24, 2006

Makes sense to me...

Click here: ‘Morning After’ Pill Is Cleared for Wider Sales - New York Times

I am (barely) pro-choice.

I believe Hungary was the first nation to legalize abortion.

I had dinner one night with a Hungarian OB-Gyn, at a restaurant overlooking the Danube. We had elk.

I asked him what he thought about the situation. He said:

"I have delivered thousands of babies; I have performed almost as many abortions. I have learned that when a woman wants to keep a baby, she will even risk her life to do so. When I woman wants to terminate a pregnancy, there is no way to stop her, even if she is risking her own life. So it is better to do it in the proper environment."

That sounds right to me.

I was and Sen. Henry M. Scoop Jackson's campaign staff in early 1972, shortly before the 5-4 Roe v. Wade Supreme Court descision.

I came up with a faux bumper sticker: "It's murder and I'm for it."

When I saw the sonogram of my youngest daughter --- now a bright and beautiful young woman --- I knew that there was life there.

The situation is particularly sad because it is so difficult to adopt children...

Ben

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds good to me, Ben.

But, then again, I dunno. Your utilitarian moral logic will lead you into places you don't want to go.

Want an example?

"It's murder [to turn over these Jews] and [look, I don't want any trouble with the Nazis, who are all for good order for the vast majority of us] I'm for it."

You like that? Because I sure as hell don't. I know how that movie ends.

Murder is murder, my friend. I sure hate to see an honest man start to make excuses for why "I had no idea what was going on, Sir ..."

It don't matter how much elk you eat. Wrong is wrong. Right?

August 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home