Wednesday, August 30, 2006

I believe it...

Click here: Commuting times getting shorter - U.S. Life - MSNBC.com

Thirty-six seconds is not a whole lot of time, but that commuting time is going down seems counter-factual.

I believe it.

About a hundred years ago, in the summer of 1939, when I was 6 --- my parents took me to the NY World's Fair. It's symbol was was "The Trylon and Perisphere."

The General Motors "Futurerama" exhibit showed cars with automatic transmissions cruising along cloverleaf interchanges.

It came to pass. So did the Interstate Highway System --- boring but quick --- that linked the East and West Coast.

President Dwight D. Eisenhower (much under-rated) promoted it as defense measure. It had taken him about thirty days to drive from coast-to-coast. (I once hitch-hiked it in about three days...)

And a short time later the goose-stepping Nazis invaded Poland, splitting it up with Josef Stalin's incompetent troops. The Hitler-Stalin pact (exceuted by Foreign Policy Ministers Joachim von Ribbentrop and Vassilly Molotov) was about as craven as the world has ever seen. The back-stabbing was was compounded a couple of years later when the Nazzis (as Winston Churchill called them) to get their goat, invaded the USSR.

I ramble.

Soit.

Ben

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home