Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Low-brow --- me , I guess.

While high-brow literary critics praised William Faulkner, James Joyce and Thomas Mann --- I couldn't get through their books. A couple of paragraphs tuned me out.

I did like John Steinbeck and Ernest Hemingway. (Al Gore remember this: The Snows of Kilamjaro have been melting since about the year 1800.)

But, I much enjoyed the work of James Michener and Herman Wouk. Their books were usually fast-paced narratives and made history painless.

So too with movies.

Last night I saw The Greatest Game Ever Played about a teen-age caddy who won the US Open, to the amazement of all.

It happened in 1913.

The cinematography was excellent. The costumes seemed accurate. The golfers played right through driving rainstorms.

I taught me something about sports-and-society --- a favorite topic of mine.

Ben

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home