Thursday, September 28, 2006

This is in-cred-ble

Click here: FOXNews.com - Heating Bills Will Be Lower This Year, Natural Gas Producers Say - Energy | Alternative Energy | Oil

I dare not predict a Republican gain in Congress.

But the dots seem to be connecting.

I used to growl at the GOP.

In 1966 I wrote a line for President Johnson when I was a speech-writer for that Flawed Giant (the title of Robert Dallek's interesting book about LBJ --- fairer by far that Robert Caro's bitter book{s}).
It went this way:

Afraid, afraid, afraid,

Republicans are afraid of their own shadow,

and afraid of the shadow of progress.


Most Americans are afraid of Republicans.

It was the Quote of the Day in the then straight-shooting NYTimes.

For a brief moment I thought it had reached that elevated spot because I was
was such hot stuff. Not.

Presidential speech-writers --- most of them --- learn that it's not who writes it that counts, but who says it.

Ben

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home