Thursday, September 21, 2006

The Jewish High Holy Days

Rosh Ha'Shanah (The Jewish New Year) fall on an appropriate date, like Labor Day in America, it really is The New Year. It is joyous occasion. Tashlich is bread cast upon a stream to symbolically wash away sins.

Yom Kippur is solemn. Serious Jews fast for 24 hours and then have a joyous break-the fast. It is the Day of Atonement)

It does NOT allow Jews to break all vows. That is a calumy.

There is a haunting prayer concerning "Who shall live, who shall die, who shall be sick, who shall be well." (If someone has the full copy as a link please post it.)

I believe it has relevance for Jews and non-Jews alike. We just do not what will happen next.

I don't.

I try to count my blessings: For my remarkable family. For the interesting work I do, which I think has played a role in shaping our understanding of how the world works.

Wise men and women know we don't know much.

Ben


-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home